The Soundtrack For The Baby Boomer Generation

Step back to a time when singers were as bright as the stars in the heavens
and the music they sang was really swingin'. Stacks of wax to fit every occasion!

Saturday, December 1, 2007

Julie Is Her Name

Artist: Julie London
Song: It's Easy (b-side) (a-side is Voice In The Mirror)
Label: Liberty F-55139 (White Label Promotional Copy - Not For Sale)
Number: 45-LB-848
Songwriter: R. Bagdasarian
Time: 2:01
Released: 1958

The first 45 r.p.m. that I'm going to post turns out to be rare. In fact, it doesn't even appear to have ever been included on any album, much less a CD compilation. The artist I'm speaking about is, of course, Julie London. And why this song has never been on any of her albums is a mystery to me. The song is called It's Easy, and was the flipside of the title track she and her husband Bobby Troup wrote for the motion picture she starred in called Voice In The Mirror.
Julie handles the material, which is perfectly suited for her style, quite zestfully. It was written by Ross Bagdasarian - yes.... the same man who created the Chipmunks! What's more amazing is that below Julie's name on the label is the phrase The Music of David Seville. Why this has never seen any other release is beyond me. In my opinion, this song captures the essence of Julie London's talent perfectly. Don't think that because it was a throwaway that it's a substandard number - it's not second-rate by any means! In fact, it's one of my favorite songs by her.
So, make sure you go and get this one, as you've probably never heard it before. You're in for a real treat, I guarantee! Here is Julie London singing It's Easy.

Now, as to the mp3 itself, I apologize if it's not as clear as it could be. I recorded it to my computer about 8 years ago and burned it to cd and this is the version I ripped and uploaded. I meant to re-record it to my computer tonight and do a much better job of cleaning up the sound, but my turntable threw a belt. So, until I can get a replacement, this version will have to do. It's not bad, but I know it could be better. And stay tuned, I'll upload the flipside one of these days. It's a ballad that isn't too bad in it's own right, with the orchestrations for it being handled by Pete King.


No comments: